Sunday, October 8, 2017

You Are Not The Choice - Part 1 - Out of Our Comfort Zone

That’s a painful thing to hear. We grow up wanting to be chosen for different aspects of life. We want to be chosen for a team, play, job, spouse, etc. However, as we grow up being told that you’re not the choice is harder. You begin going after things you really want. A little over two years ago I applied for a job that I didn’t get, and it put me in a depressed mood. Eventually I learned that wasn’t God’s will for me and it took me to a district that I didn’t think I had a chance at nor did I want to be there. It turned out to be a great career move for me.

There’s a little thing in there that’s hard for me and that’s God’s will. I always hope that God’s will is going to be something that goes in my favor and truthfully I mainly prayed for my will over His, but something changed. Two years ago I signed my family up to be foster parents, not only foster parents but foster-to-adopt. We had always talked about it, but I finally filled out the application and threw ourselves in. I kept thinking, “If God doesn’t want us to foster or adopt, we won’t receive a call.” We took almost six months to finish the application process, whether it was CPR classes, background checks, livescans (I had to pay for and do two); we just took a long time. We were finally certified in October of 2017, about six months after we started the process.

We saw friends get placements rather quickly, and we were excited for them. However, we kept wondering why we hadn’t been picked? Then, we finally got a call, a sibling set, but they would have to get special permission because we had two children three and under. We were denied, and it stung, but then we got another call. We were placed with a four month old girl who is amazing. She had one visit about a month later with her and then that was it. We didn’t hear from the mom, we heard something about the grandmother, and we didn’t hear from the father. Our hope and goal was to foster to adopt, and it seemed like we were on track. Then we got another call. It was mid-December 2016.  

No comments:

Post a Comment